About this Meal Train Plus page
PLEASE ADD YOUR CELL PHONE NUMBER TO MEAL DESCRIPTION IN CASE WE NEED TO CONTACT YOU WITH ANY CHANGES. THANK YOU.
BEDS Plus is presently providing 450 individual meals a week to at risk clients/families we have housed in motels and over 100 families and individuals who are housed and experiencing food insecurity.
We couldn’t continue to support these vulnerable individuals at this time without the help of individuals and businesses in the community providing meals on a daily basis.
Here are ways that you can continue to help us provide these services:
MEALS OR PURCHASED SHELF STABLE MEALS FOR 25 to 30 TO BE DELIVERED TO BEDS AT RISK CLIENTS.
DELIVERED TO OASH OFFICES AT 9601 OGDEN LA GRANGE BEFORE 10:30am EACH DAY.
MEALS PREPARED FOR 25 or 30 depending on what you signed up for. (Our count changes daily. I will notify you of any changes)
Individually packed and delivered to our offices. There are individual meal containers for pickup in the vestibule at 9601 Ogden, LaGrange (Entrance off of East Avenue). Please deliver meals off by 10:3Oam.
BEDS Plus cares deeply about the health of our clients. As such, we have adopted nutrition guidelines. These guidelines can be accessed by copying and pasting this link.
We recommend our donors follow guidelines the below:
1. Include a fruit or vegetable with every meal.
2. Use whole grains whenever possible (e.g., 100% whole wheat bread, whole corn or wheat tortillas, whole wheat pasta, etc.)
3. Use lean proteins whenever possible (e.g., chicken, turkey, eggs, fish, beans, etc.)
4. If a packaged snack is included, we request it not be fried. for example, dried fruit, baked chips or pretzels are preferred over regular chips or fries.
5. We discourage providing pastries or sweet breakfast breads, such as doughnuts, croissants, muffins, cinnamon rolls, scones, and toaster pastries.
6. If dessert is included, we request it be provided in small portions, and/or have relatively lower sugar content (e.g., a piece of fruit or lower-sugar granola bar).
7. If a beverage is included, please choose water, carbonated water, 100% juice or another unsweetened beverage. Please do not include regular soda, water flavoring packets, or other sugary beverages.
Examples of meals that may meet these guidelines are:
-Vegetable wraps on whole wheat tortillas
-Tacos with vegetables on whole corn tortillas
-Baked chicken with black eyed peas and greens
-Stir fry with brown rice and vegetables
-Whole wheat spaghetti with vegetables and turkey meatballs
-Turkey sandwiches on whole wheat bread with a side of fruit
-Curry with vegetables and brown or wild rice
-Bean chili with whole grain bread
-Egg or lentil salad
-Turkey or vegetarian burgers with vegetables on a whole grain bun
25-30 Shelf Stable Meals depending on what you signed up for.
These donations can include purchase and delivery of shelf stable meals (NOTHING THAT WOULD NEED TO BE REFRIGERATED OR FROZEN)
Here are the suggested items:
-HMR Entrees or Hormel entrees
-White Chicken or flavored tuna in pouches (Tuna Creations/Chicken Creations)
-Lower-sodium chili, such as Hormel chili no beans w/less sodium, Hormel vegetarian chili with beans, Bean VIVI organic 3-bean vegan chili, Ben's original ready rice pouch whole grain or brown.
-Fruit cups packed in their own juice or water
-Small, bottled water, carbonated water, or 100% juice
-Low-sugar breakfast bars
-Frito-Lay Baked & Popped Mix
-Individual cereal boxes
All items are available via our website on our Amazon Wish List. (May need to cut and paste link)
Meals may be purchased from local restaurants and fast-food chains. The following are restaurants that offer healthier options. Chipotle, Panera, Jimmy John's, Noodles & Company, McDonald's and Wendy's. Email me if you would like suggestions for their healthy menu options.
GIFT CARD PURCHASES
Purchase gift cards that can be used to purchase groceries or meals. Example: Jewel gift cards, Dollar General gift cards, Jimmy John's gift cards, Subway gift cards or a gift card to a local favorite restaurant to help support local businesses and to cover meals to be delivered to the above location.
It is strongly suggested that all meal providers take the ServSafe Food Handlers online course to ensure all safety guidelines are followed in preparing meals.
For more information, contact Sue Dever at firstname.lastname@example.org or 708-261-7078
Here is a link to our website and how BEDS is responding to the Covid-19 crisis: